YOGA VS PILATES



I was very early this morning before i taught my class so i sat down to have a drink and to do some yoga lesson plans in my sketch book. The strangest conversation was taking place that i couldn't help over hearing. I do not ear wig, but i could hear them because i was the only one close by why it was happening.
A member of the gym was talking to the manager about classes and the manager said we have yoga and Pilate's on. The lady said "Well i have done yoga and it is the same as Pilate's". Well as you can imagine i wanted to go over and explain the difference, this lady has never attending my class and i was fascinated to know what kind of yoga class she went to and what Pilate's class she has attended. 

This really got me thinking, do people really believe they are the same? Is that why people won't attend a yoga class because they believe it is so much like Pilate's. The difference is so different that they do not compare in my eyes. For one reason among many reasons yoga came from centuries and centuries ago, not only can it be spiritual which Pilate's is not, but it is also a science that has been create to establish balance in body, mind and spirit. It cleanses, heals and helps with natural weight loss. It makes the body strong, toned and the mind clear.

After the conversation and she left i spoke to the manager and showed my concern. I asked if it would be ok for me to do a booklet and hand not only to students in class but also to members that have got the wrong idea about yoga all together. Those who have not even tried yoga yet and those who do not understand yoga. I feel so many people do not understand yoga.

Yoga also does not have to be religious by any means, you can to yoga from many angles, physical, spiritual, breath awareness, meditation and much more...... but i believe it has so much more going for it than i believe Pilate's does? Am i wrong to believe this as i am a yoga lover? 

Yoga works the core just like Pilate's does, it works balance, strength both mentally and physically. Yoga can be a spiritual practice as well. It is very likely the more you practise the more the scriptures will make sense if you study them or read. 

I am not saying that Pilate's is not a good rounded practice, i just believe that yoga allows much more scope and offers many many more options and ways to enter into the practice. I also think that Pilate's can be..... "I SAY CAN BE" dangerous as the work you do requires a lot of strength to begin with. And i do believe if you go into the wrong yoga class when starting this could be the same! 





I would love your thoughts on yoga and Pilate's and differences, strengths and much more.....

My booklets are in process if you wish to have one please let me know!


Namaste Yogis xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...